Because Every Child Needs a Family

"Whatever you did for one
of the least of these . . you did for me." Matt 25:40

Us

Monday, January 5, 2009

Like That Chicken

. . . with his head cut off. The one that's still running around. Yeah, that's me. WE LEAVE NEXT WEEK! I think I'm probably making more work for myself than I need to but it is a necessary distraction as well as an attempt to make things easier for myself when we get back. I'm just a little nervous. And you know, you wouldn't want to bring a newborn baby home to a dirty house or one that needs repair. Well, I don't want to bring my girls home to a house that needs attention either!

Trying to pay attention to the news as well. Have decided to bring the full length down coat, glove liners, one down and one fleece throw and wool sweaters instead of cotton in addition to the rest of the warm clothes already planned. In the middle of winter, Russia and Ukraine are in a dispute about the price of the precious natural gas that heats the boilers of Ukraine, as well as the rest of Europe. Russia has been suffering with the economic downturn, and well, let's just grab Europe by the throat, shall we? Russia says to self, "A little boost in price (okay, big BOLSHOY boost in price) will help Russian economy, dah!" This gas is piped through Ukraine to the rest of Europe and, hey, Ukraine wants a cut of the profits. Or a discount at least. Sounds fair. Russia says nyet. Cuts off gas to Ukraine. Ukraine is using reserve now. In a couple of weeks that gas will run out and . . . Did I mention that in High School, I was voted most likely to 'freeze to death in Arizona in July'?

I've made about 40 hats out of my leftover yarn so far. Say, does anyone happen to know the population of Ukraine?

2 comments:

Tami said...

Sorry...I'm giggling to myself. It sounds like you are running around like that chicken! :)
Don't know the population of Ukraine, but the list of clothes you're bringing sound like a great idea. I would also bring some athletic socks. I brought them with me last January and wore them ALL THE TIME. Of course I was wearing boots so no one knew I had white socks on with black slacks and boots. ;) I would also suggest a couple of pairs of jeans. They're warmer than slacks and dry just fine on the radiators.
Have a GREAT trip. Looking forward to following your journey! :)

Unknown said...

I live in Ukraine and it is COLD!!!! I suggest that if you have time before you leave, go get some cuddleduds. They are silk longjohns. They wash easily and dry quickly. I am wearing them all day and even to bed at night. In fact, I can't imagine not wearing them this winter.

By the way.... I am the person Heidi and Felix met while adopting their precious three.

Praying for your time in Ukraine. It is a wonderful country... I have been here for 15 years and still love it. Cold and all....and I am from the deep south!

God's blessings on you!