Because Every Child Needs a Family

"Whatever you did for one
of the least of these . . you did for me." Matt 25:40

Us

Friday, December 26, 2008

A Family for Christmas

For those of you who are not Ukrainian adoption blog junkies, I need to tell you a little story. A little background: we have the great blessing of being part of a community of families that live reasonably close by that are all adopting from Ukraine. There are seven families (I can think of) that are in the process of or have adopted from Ukraine. We share needed information and wisdom obtained from the process and travel to the said foreign country and most importantly, we allow the children to visit each other in hopes of letting them know they are not alone here in this big alien country. There are other children here just like them.

One of our families we sent off in early November with much love and prayer. As is expected, they spent long and sometimes frustrating days in the old country waiting for impossibly slow paper work. They were there for some 45 days. It looked as if they would be there for Christmas. At the last minute, the last of the paperwork was secured (thank you US Embassy!). And on Christmas Eve, at 4:15 pm, the new family entered the main terminal at Denver International Airport. I was there, all smiles and hugs to welcome them home at last. I wasn't sure how many of our community would be there seeing it was Christmas Eve and all but eventually almost all the families came with Russian speaking children in tow. It was wonderful.

It was a child's Christmas in Colorado this year. What an awesome gift. What a beautiful memory.

7 comments:

Tami said...

What an awesome moment that must have been! Merry Christmas to all of you - from your neighbors to the north (Wyoming. ;>)

Debora Hoffmann said...

I wish we could have been there, but we got a call from them right before they boarded their last plane for the short hop home. What a treat. Merry Christmas! You're next...

Heidi and Felix said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heidi and Felix said...

You were my little Christmas angel and it was so good to see you! I wanted to hug you forever and not let go. But I knew you had to breathe.

We love you Leana and Rollie. Thank you for the baked goodies and the knitted hats! The kids wore them today when we went to the mountains.

It was the best Christmas of our lives!

Felix

Karen said...

So glad you were there to welcome them home! Hope I can meet you when you are in Ukraine! :) I'll be there again on the 16th.
Blessings!!!

Kari said...

Hi, Eileen! I was going to call you the other night, then I realized I don't have your phone number-ugh! Email it to me, and I will call you. Austin, Tatum and I will be home January 6.
Miss you,
Love,
Kari

Twyla, John, Duncan, Mari, and Misha said...

Eileen,

It was great to see you at the airport!

You and Rolan and your new family members will be arriving into DIA within the next few months!

We look forward to your arrival!

Until then, enjoy your packing, nesting, and all of the preparations!

Hugs,
The Barretts