Because Every Child Needs a Family

"Whatever you did for one
of the least of these . . you did for me." Matt 25:40

Us

Thursday, January 8, 2009

. . . Eight . . .

A fire just west of here in our beautiful foothills. Could smell the burning grass as the sun set and the wind blew the smoke in our direction. 1,000 homes evacuated. Whose? Where? The hills are about 5 miles away.

I got up about midnight and looked out the west window. I saw an orange glow. The wind blew hard and the glow brightened. I thought the fire was out! The wind had been fierce the past couple of days revealing local home owners' weak fences, sick trees, downing and scattering dead branches over lawns and streets. As I pulled the covers over my head, I wondered how long it would take the fire to reach us. 50 mile an hour wind. Would we get the evacuation call in the night? What would I take?!

House or no house, I'm taking the passports and dossier! Even if the house burns down, I'm going to go to Ukraine to get my kids!

3 comments:

Heidi and Felix said...

That a girl!! Don't worry, we will come over and fight the fire while you are gone! Go get those kids!

Felix

Sheryl said...

Praying for you. My FIL had a tree fall on his workshop due to the wind and lots of rain. I always feel like the devil rears his head when we choose to be obedient to the Lord. Greater is He that is in you than he that is in the world.

Twyla, John, Duncan, Mari, and Misha said...

Enjoying reading about all of the preparation and the hats, the hats, and the hats! I'm not sure how the gas negotiations are going, but after hearing about your "high school reputation", I'm thinking a few skeins of yarn for afghans, afghans, afghans (did I spell that right?)!

The make-up and nail polish stuff sounds cute - now maybe some hair bows, clips, barrettes, curlers, and brushes and you can have a real "beauty parlor" day!

The time is flying by - I can't belive how quickly it is going! Don't worry about the heat, you can buy those oil-filled electric radiators that do a bang-up job heating spaces!

You are both in our thoughts,
Twyla and John