Because Every Child Needs a Family

"Whatever you did for one
of the least of these . . you did for me." Matt 25:40

Us

Friday, February 20, 2009

Day 33, 34

Honored Ambassadors

We were told we were late. They were waiting.

We scrambled up several flights of stairs to the auditorium. It was decorated with balloons and curling ribbon. A small table was set up near the stage with a blue tablecloth and a vase with live flowers. As we entered 200 children cheered. What a rush. Definitely one of the high points of my life! The English teacher came over and introduced herself holding my hand as if she has been a devoted fan all her life.

I smiled warmly as we were ushered to the table with the blue cloth and invited to sit down. Anya was at my left.

The English teacher addressed the crowds of children and teachers.

“We love to study about many countries of the world and we are learning to speak and read English. We are so happy to have you here as our honored guests,” she said turning to us. “We would like to show you something of our culture and ask you some question about yours. Is that okay?”

“Absolutely!”

One girl, who looked to be about 14, stepped up to the microphone and gave a short speech about her town. She did a good job, I thought, but at the end she stumbled on her words a little and put her hand over her mouth as she rushed to sit down (it is the way of 14 year old girls, I think).

Traditional dances, an older group and a younger group of kids in full traditional costume. Everyone who travels longs for this sort of cultural treat. People even pay money for it. Eat your heart out. Not only was it just for us and free of charge but it was also done by the pure of heart. There was some joke telling, skit style. The reciting of poems much loved by the Ukrainians both by individuals and groups, en mass. We had a special visit by a fellow who was dressed like Abe Lincoln, sans the beard, named “Mr. ABC.” They all sang a version of the ABC’s that I’m not familiar with. Probably created by those Brits.

Then the floor was open for questions. Three brave souls dared to approach.

“What do you think of our town?”

“What do you eat?” I told them anything but bugs but I should have elaborated.

“Tell us about your town.”

I was presented with the flowers and 2 reports written by children in class on the topic of America. Back at the hotel I noticed that the US has a rule making body called the “govern meat.” No comment.

Then the children were dismissed.

We went downstairs to the principal’s office where I got out the cakes we bought for the girl’s classroom celebrations. Sometime earlier in the week, Rolan caught a glimpse of an interesting room off the library and asked about it. It was a “heritage room.” The staff were proud to share it. I was mushed down the hall. What a beautiful room! A mock fireplace occupied one end of the room with ceramic pots and painted spoons. On the upper walls, traditional clothes were pinned up, dating back to the 1800’s. At the other end, a mock well and a low fence made of twigs and branches with pots turned over the fence posts. A beautiful mural covered the far wall. I was told there was a gifted artist on staff. The school has more murals than I’ve ever seen in a school. The walls never seem to have marks or are dirty. It’s really one of the cleanest schools I’ve seen. There was a long low table in the middle with 2 samovars (big urns for tea). We were invited to sit down and were given wooden spoons. Mmmmmm, lunch? No just photos. I grabbed a ceramic pot sitting on the table and mocked eating whatever imaginary oatmeal might be inside. Ah, these Americans are so funny!

On our way back to the office I took Anya aside and asked her if it would be okay to take photos of some of the kids that needed homes. Maybe we could share the photos with friends and see if we could find families for them. Anya was sure that would be okay.

After cake was served, we found our way back to Nickolas’ office. Pen in hand, Anya carefully recorded the names of each of the children that were brought in along with their ages. Rolan took pictures. I had to fight tears. I hope this orphanage in Slavyansk has many American Ambassadors in the coming months. I hope these Ambassadors come for the love of children, choosing to share their hearts ... and their homes.



This is Fedya (12) and his sister Maryna (13). Fedya has been very helpful to us. He seems like a wonderful boy. We came looking for girls, but this guy is a real sweetie.

1 comment:

Debora Hoffmann said...

I want so much to see many, many children taken into loving families. What precious little ones. Wish I could sweep them all up and bring them home!

It's so neat you got the cultural experience. Wow!