Because Every Child Needs a Family

"Whatever you did for one
of the least of these . . you did for me." Matt 25:40

Us

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Day 17

Boar’s Head

We ate breakfast under a boar’s head. A big stuffed and mounted one. I had no idea they were so big! I can see why they can be frightening, those boars. I would hate to encounter one in the wild.

I can’t tell you what we had for breakfast. Not because of the big head but because it was an odd mixture of stuff. I’m open to trying anything, really. This was bread crumbs, cheese, maybe mayo, then baked. They love breadcrumbs or cubes and mayo. I don’t know why everyone doesn’t die of heart attacks out here. Come to think of it, we don’t see many very old people.

Anyway, after school, we headed up to get the girls, and then headed for town. I’ve promised a few appreciative people that I would make them scarves. They make great ‘thank you’ gifts here where everybody wears one. I’m in crochet-ers heaven. I just wish I could find better quality yarn. The girls are still ‘Mama look!”-ing in hopes that I’ll cave in and buy them something. They don’t have a good understanding of what is necessity and what can be lived without for the time being. Belt (when pants aren’t threatening to expose ones backside), coin purse, and earrings aren’t necessities. But then again isn’t it difficult for all of us to determine the difference between necessity and luxury?
“America,” I respond, thinking our clothing budget will surely be blown the first week we return. Now I have three girls who think we have unlimited resources! I’ll have to come up with a plan. Good consignment stores and hand me downs for sure! Oh, by the way, Nastia is still a size 6, Sasha is a size 8 or 10 (both will work) and Tanya is probably a 12 (I’m a little shy to reveal her bust size over the airwaves. Send me an e-mail if you need specifics).

Moved in the direction of our pizza place. Found right in the center of the center square, our very own Tanya and Olga!

“Fancy meeting you here!” I said to Olga.

“Huh?” Olga replied. This comes of not speaking English all weekend.

Pizza place. The usual stuffing of the children. Salads, soups, baked chicken thing, dessert. Some people whose names shall go unmentioned couldn’t finish all they ordered. New rule: 3 dish limit for each costumer. Olga ducked out to speak with the social worker whose office was just across the street. There was a request from the floor for a haircut. Another girl looked like she could use a little trim as well. The third (that would be Nastia) won’t need a haircut for a long time (see photos). I recalled Jim taking Ashley to a hairdresser in Kiev. I remembered the price was fairly reasonable. What a great girl activity! I could use a little attention myself.

Through Olga, I told Tanya to find a hairdo person and make an appointment.

Olga was hoping to fly back to Kiev this evening but she had a few more things to finish. We need to visit a reluctant notary. Then hopefully get our court date!

Working our way back to our hotel, we stopped and picked up water, goodies, etc. Tanya said good evening and headed toward her apartment. Olga hailed a cab. This was the worst one yet. Not only was it small for our 5 people but we found a tiny fiat with a big driver. I was glad our ride would only be a few minutes and this fellow wasted no time getting out of there.

Rolan took the girls home to the internot while I visited with Olga. She brought out a bottle of something she bought at the market. It had pictures of lemons on the outside.

“This is our lemonade. Want to taste?”

I hate really sweet drinks but it looked interesting.

“Yeah.”

She poured a generous amount into a glass. It looked like Nestea with too much yellow. Almost like beer. I took a taste.

Have you ever had one of those candies called ‘Circus Peanuts’ that is orange marshmallow in the shape of a large peanut?

Blech.

When we met Olga in the square, we asked about our new credit cards. Yes! She had them. Hand delivered from the USA. When Rolan got back from the internot he tried to activate the thing.

“To activate, call from your home phone.” Infuriating.

Ro managed to get a hold of Ransom, who is staying at our home, by instant messaging. He had Ransom call the automated number. The automated man at the other end bought the ruse. Card activated.

We got locked in our hotel room. Operating the lock inside would not always open the door. It took several attempts. When our breakfast was announced, the (clerk?) had to go get a key, to unlock it for us. I think I figured out the trick to unlocking, but next day, we were given a new key. The lock was changed.

No comments: