Because Every Child Needs a Family

"Whatever you did for one
of the least of these . . you did for me." Matt 25:40

Us

Friday, December 12, 2008

Nesting








We have officially asked for our third child, a sweetie named Vika (or Victoria) who turned 10 last summer. I smile as I look at her picture taken last March with hair cut super-short for lice control, she kinda looks like me. I overflow with empathy. Naw. She's cute. I'll be able to show photos later but I have to be careful for reasons I will tell later (if I don't, remind me). With Nastia turning 8 on the 22nd of December, Sasha at 11 in September and Vika at 10 last July, people will think I really cranked out the kids! Hey Folks, this is a great way to have a passel of kids close together and not have to go through the multiple sleepless nights of the infant/toddler phase. I feel like I got away with something. At least until college. Hmmmmm. ("Honey, how much do we have in our college fund?!")

Finishing up the house. Out comes the paint. I noticed a few spots on the ceiling in the purple room, the one that will house two girls. I can't imagine trying to finish this with people actually living in it so best fix it now. I remember when I first painted this room. Its the first room I ever painted a feminine color. Josh had moved out to attend CU and I wanted a guest room for Mom and buddy De. When I had the paint mixed, the guy put the can on the counter and said flatly, "Here's your ugly purple paint, lady." I saw the twinkle in his eye. My cue. I let him know in mock self-righteousness that I had put up with three brothers and two sons and was ready to openly embrace my feminine side! Well, I didn't say that exactly, but I could have here in Boulder, Colorado. Didn't know then that I would invite others to "embrace my feminine side" so personally. Ah, life does have its twists, doesn't it?

We have been fortunate to find a great deal of needed furniture, used. The only thing we need now is two twin bed frames. Canopy beds please. White iron prefered. Without the little hump in the top. Cheap. Less than one hundred each, thank you. What? You aren't Santa? Bummer. Guess I'll have to go shopping tomorrow. Not such a bummer. Bed frames, even canopies aren't very much more than that and I should be able to find them new.

Photos: UL- One brave husband, painting the house. With every weekend we spent painting it ourselves, we were sure we saved $10,000 more bucks.
UR-Moving back into the bigger family room (excuse the disorder). The new part is marked with a line next to the mantel, since painted to match the rest of the room.
LR- Extended breakfast room. I got the biggest window I could without having to go to a more expensive shatterproof glass. Note classy cat door on lower left. Sliding glass door is just to the left in that room.

I'll try and dig up a "before" photo for our out-of-state friends.

4 comments:

Heidi and Felix said...

Woo hoo!!! Number 3?!?!?! Welcome to the "you must be crazy" club!!!
-Heidi

Debora Hoffmann said...

Awesome! Three kids! That's what we're doing, we hope and pray. I think it's a requirement for Colorado families to at least *ask* for three...Aimee and Matt excluded for noncompliance. :-)

How did you find out about Vika? Is she in the same internat with your sweet girls?

Kari said...

That is so exciting, Rolan and Eileen! Now you can wake up at 3 a.m. wondering how you will care for all of these kids like I do every night-it is 3:43 a.m. right now ;)
FYI-get another apostilled letter requesting Vika. We sent Sasha's a month before our appt. It hadn't arrived at the SDA yet as it has to go to the region first, etc., etc., and then to the SDA. He said it usually takes about 20 business days. So they didn't have our request. They were able to find his file ASAP thankfully. I know some facilitators find out sooner, though, so hopefully that is the case with yours but wanted to let you know.
I told Jim right before we left that it kind of felt like cheating adopting these kids without the pain of labor.

Twyla, John, Duncan, Mari, and Misha said...

Eileen and Rolan,

Congratulations on your appointment date and on #3 - what a wonderful surprise!

I loved reading about your nesting in preparation for the girls! Vika, at 10, is a perfect fit for the other two in terms of playing together! Enjoy having a few females around - they will love the purple paint!

It is wonderful that you will cross paths with the Volf's - they will be old hands by the time you arrive! You will love both seeing someone you know and speaking English!

Again, congratulations on asking for Vika! We look forward to reading about your travels!

Hugs,
The Barretts