Because Every Child Needs a Family

"Whatever you did for one
of the least of these . . you did for me." Matt 25:40

Us

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Twenty Hats


Before our adoption buddies Heidi and Felix left, Heidi asked for donations of hats, scarves and mittens to take to the children. I love to work with my hands, especially when watching TV, so I wondered if I could maybe make some in my spare time. Not worth the trouble to make mittens (you can buy a pair at Target for $1) but I made the girls scarves before they left for Ukraine out of the vast piles of yarn left over from my afghan projects (the blanket type not the people). Well, why not just use the rest for hats and scarves for the whole orphanage? I have a LOT of yarn. I've made a lot of afghans. I knew the day would come when all those remnants could be used to warm the world. My day has come.

When you buy a ball of yarn, you are committed to it. You can't return it. Retailers don't take them back because so many people tried to return skeins that had, say, a yard they needed and so was missing, from a 315 yard skein. Honestly, its hard to tell if there is a yard missing, even for a retailer, and its dishonest to try and resell a 315 yard skein that has only 314 yards in it. Sorry, I know, its a knitting thing. Anyway, what you end up with, if you do any significant yarnwork at all, is a big basket full of remnants and unused skeins. I was bored of making scarves and thought I would broaden my needlework knowledge horizon a little and make some hats.
I wonder how many I can make with the yarn I still have. Care to make a wager? If you're right you can have a free . . . hat.

2 comments:

Heidi and Felix said...

Hmmm...with about 8 weeks to go, but a lot of work to do, add in the holidays...I guess 12 hat.

-Heidi

p.s. I'll take green, thanks!

Heidi and Felix said...

You can send that unused yarn (I didn't know if there was a technical yarn person word for it) to any orphanage in Ukraine. We were asked by Galena's orphanage to buy the art class a few of those "yarn rolls" (Felix layperson term). Love ya, Rolly & Leen!

Felix