Because Every Child Needs a Family

"Whatever you did for one
of the least of these . . you did for me." Matt 25:40

Us

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

All Is Quiet

Dossier has arrived. Was signed for (so says the tracking number information) Oct 8th. Now the great wait. Our facilitator in Kiev will work on translating the many documents. Each individual document has a special piece of paper stapled twice on the left edge that covers the original with the name of the notary that signed it and the approval of the state commissioner. There are about 25 documents. She has her work cut out for her.

I must confess, the very hardest part for me in this journey, is leaving my home for 4+ weeks. I do love to travel and explore but get restless to return to my nest after a couple of weeks. Not sure how I'm going to remedy this discomfort when there is no set return date. So now is the best time to do what I can to prepare as thoroughly as possible for that time. I'm reading other blogs, keeping up on my scant Russian and pestering my Ukrainian adoption buddies for information. (Word on the street is one of my buddies has 15 pages of stuff to bring!) Rolan has switched to Russian instead of Ukrainian language CD's to listen to on his way to work. Hunting for constructive stuff to do while we wait for papers, court dates, etc. Ideas are welcome. I've heard the boredom gets to you. As a last resort, I could bring a suitcase full of books, magazines and yarn to make poor unsuspecting children scarves and afghans. (Actually, that doesn't sound too bad.) I would love to plant fruit trees or a veggie garden with the kids depending on the time of year and the tools available. Something to look into. Anyway, I think the more prepared I am, the more I will look forward to going and actually enjoy the time we are there.

It's really hard to say when we will go. There is a rumor that the 2008 quotas are not met so they are still giving appts even into Dec. February? March? Unknown. New Ukraine law weeded out the international singles and older adopters so the lines aren't as long as in the past. People who have already submitted their documents are getting in sooner than expected. We are on pins and needles watching our buddies bring kids home, get appointment dates and make flight reservations! When will our turn come?

I'm a little twisted but this is fun.

2 comments:

Twyla, John, Duncan, Mari, and Misha said...

Eileen and Rolan,

Yeah! Great work at getting your Dossier completed and over there to be translated! Do you have a submission date yet? Our appt. date was less than 3 months from our submission date. It may move faster if the lines are shorter!

Figure a movie a night (pick some happy movies in case the weather is wet, cold and drippy), small packages of kleenex and Charmin in the tubes (called "Charmin to Go"), antibacterial hand gel, several paperbacks (better if they appeal to both of you), small bottle of laundry detergent and one of fabric softener for "tub laundry", granola bars, peanut butter if you like it, pancake syrup if you plan on making any or even french toast, coffee travel mugs (can always leave them behind as Facilitator gifts), dental floss and small clothes-pins to make a clothesline and hang wet laundry from, and a rubber sink stopper. I packed some Febreze, but didn't end up using it on furniture, just for the bathroom. Target has some small totebags that zip into a pouch for a $1 each (red fabric from polyethelene) - I took 4, used them heavily for grocery and Orphanage snack shopping, washed them, and left them for gifts!

Use this time to do the things you can't do with kids and just enjoy each other. A big change is coming down the road and although it is great it is also hard! Build up your sleep reservior and be good to yourselves!

Your family and the girls are in our prayers!

Hugs,
The Barretts

Rolan and Eileen said...

Twyla!! So glad to hear from you. How did you know I was working on my list? I was reading about the spaghetti sauce seasonings too in your blog and thought that was fun. I am hording packages of condiments for sandwiches. I wonder if we can get condiment packages of syrup at Burger King? I keep thinking,"Help, I'm not ready!" Felix and Heidi have the same facilitator so I can pump her for info on submission date. Thanks for your prayers! love eileen