Because Every Child Needs a Family

"Whatever you did for one
of the least of these . . you did for me." Matt 25:40

Us

Monday, April 27, 2009

English and Math

What do you call those little breath mints that come in a clear box?
According to Anna, they are "tic-tocs".
What blooms in the Spring? Flowless.
What do you call a bathtub full of water? A drink.

My Russian must be just as bad. They laugh at me, but I am silently laughing at them, too.
They are learning English very quickly.
Most nights, when I put them to bed, I practice comprehension with them, though they don't know it.
"What color is our car?"
"How many quarters in a dollar?"
"Yes or no: you put food in your nose when you eat."

We have gone through Dr. Seuss so many times, they are already losing interest in them.
I need more books with many pictures and simple words. Spoken English is progressing nicely, reading and writing are much slower. Why must English be so hard. Even reading Dr. Seuss, so many words are not pronounced like they are spelled. There are so many exceptions for common words.

I found some software to help with multiplication. Check out TimezAttack.

Last night, I had a fire in the fireplace. At midnight, it was such a nice fire, casting light and dark on the ceiling. The girls were asleep. The house was quiet. I was at peace. Not since being in Ukraine have I been so at peace. Good things happen, bad things happen. We continue to learn about them, they continue to learn about us, and what a family could be. Still so much to learn. Good thing we have years to learn all that family stuff.

3 comments:

ArtworkByRuth said...

So glad you are posting the learning progress. Sometimes I think I am overly zealous in teaching O everything she needs to know and need a reality check with how others are doing! LOL!

Heidi and Felix said...

You DON'T put food in your nose? I guess I was about 5 before I learned that one.

Donna Key said...

Dorling Kindersley (DK) publishers make some really nice "picture" books with about 20 pictures to a page and words underneath. A more adult book is the Ultimate Visual Dictionary. Maybe a phonics program would help with reading and spelling. I used Phonics Pathways with my kids when they were little, but I know the author uses it as ESL for adults. It's pretty inexpensive, too.