Because Every Child Needs a Family

"Whatever you did for one
of the least of these . . you did for me." Matt 25:40

Us

Monday, March 2, 2009

Stretching Time

Last Thursday, when we were running from embassy to medical buildings to embassy, my faith was pushed to the limit. Beyond the limit. I had prayed earlier that week for Tanya's birth certificate to be done quickly. It did not happen. Instead of being able to get everything done in Donetsk in a day, we would have to find a hotel and continue the next day. On Thursday, we were running to the embassy, and I was sure we had to be there by 3:00 PM, and I was equally sure we could not do it. Things had been delayed enough that it looked like we would not complete our paper work that day, and so we would have to wait until Monday to finish a few small items.

I complained to God.

"This is too much. I no longer believe that you are capable of working in our favor. You have allowed enough delays that we will be further delayed. I'm sorry, God, but you, the God who likes to wait until the last minute, have waited too long for me. I wish I could trust you to get this done quickly, but you have not acted earlier this week when I asked, and I don't expect you to act now."

Of course, you know that we came home in record time.

So now I have another experience of a loving God who is trying to increase my faith in what he can do.

I think I did one thing right in this example. When the rich young ruler came to Jesus and asked what he needed to do, eventually Jesus told him to sell everything, give it to the poor, and follow Jesus. The ruler went away disappointed. That was the mistake. That was the mistake I avoided. I could have (not really) given up on trying to trust God. Just turned away with no intention of turning back. Instead, I wrestled with God. Like Abraham, over Sodom and Gomorrah. The rich young ruler should have argued with Jesus, or asked more questions, or anything else except turn away. I was able to tell God that he was asking more of me than I thought I could give. Maybe next time, I'll be able to believe that more is possible.

3 comments:

adopting2fromUkraine said...

Welcome home! We've all had the same attitudes that you've expressed, especially those of use who've experienced a Ukraine adoption:0 It's a good thing for us that God gives us many more chances:)

Best wishes.
June

bdnp3827 said...

POST!!!!!!! Need some news!!!!!!

Leslie said...

Hi, Rolon and Eileen-
Thank you so much for your words of encouragement on our adoption blog. It means more than you know that we are aware of your sincere prayers for our process. We are praying for faith in what seems like an impossible situation. But we serve a God of impossibilities!