Because Every Child Needs a Family

"Whatever you did for one
of the least of these . . you did for me." Matt 25:40

Us

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Ready, Set. . . Remodel!

Hello Everyone!
Last Friday we got word that they could start digging here at the ol' homestead on MONDAY! That means they want 3 rooms in the house cleaned out and I have to clear out the carefully, gently, lovingly planted garden outside the family room. I have 8 specially ordered dwarf evergreens, some of them planted some 10+ years ago. Some of them irreplaceable. (Ask me about my dwarf bristlecone pine). So it is quick but careful transplanting for the next few days.
Those girls won't be able to say I love my garden more than them!

Much to my dismay, a couple dozen giant white crocus stuck their bold white heads up to say, "Excuse me, but we are important too!" Yes, yes, thank you for blooming where you were planted, I will move you too. (Who else am I forgetting?! Where in the world did I put that alpine clematis?!)

I have taken before pictures for your enjoyment but I think we will lose our TV cable and internet cable too for the duration. I will see if I still can send you updates from the front somehow. If not, then you will get the before and after photos back to back, like one of those magazine articles and write "before" under one photo and "after" under the other (like you won't be able to tell on your own . . )

The great and wonderful surprise is that they are saying it will only take 6 weeks!

"Of course, that is how long it should take," I hear you say. But you and I both know 4 months is more of what we were expecting. Yes, yes, they are never done when they say. Yes, yes, it will more likely be 8 weeks but this is great news for the gardener who would like to put some plants back around the new room rather than find a permanent home because 4 months is way too long to be out of the ground, especially over the brutal summer months. I will also be able to paint walls, varnish, put the rooms back together, shop for missing furniture pieces, all when the weather is in my favor. Whew.

Anyway, we are still waiting on the agency here to finish our paperwork. I think too we are waiting on the FBI clearance. I guess they don't want bank robbers raising kids. Go figure.

So, very dear friends and relatives, we are scrambling. Will try to write again soon.

1 comment:

Jeff T. said...

Wow....talk about things moving fast...I feel like I need to run just to stay caught up! Good luck with the transplanting; wish I could be there to help but I'll be praying that this all goes smoothly.